[SVDC 505] Monday Missives (Advertising - 100510)

ads @ SOL ads at saratogaoakslodge.com
Mon May 10 12:38:49 PDT 2010

Ann Waltonsmith <waltonsmith at comcast.net>
Saratoga Area Senior Coordinating Council (SASCC)                             April, 2010

Dear Saratogans,

  The Saratoga Area Senior Coordinating Council, SASCC, is the non-profit organization that has been providing older adult services since 1979. Services include the Saratoga Senior Center and the Saratoga Adult Care Center for the frail elderly.  SASCC’s services complement and fill gaps between other local private services and senior living opportunities.  SASCC’s specialty is aiding older adults who continue to live at home yet need that welcoming environment or a little extra assistance to rebuild and enhance their personal lives.

          The SASCC Board of Directors is writing this letter to alert you to the fact that we are in a tenuous financial situation. The recent national financial slump has damaged many non-profit budgets, including SASCC’s.   Instead of using the profits of SASCC’s investments, we have had to begin using some of the principal.  The Board of Directors does not want this trend to continue. The time to act is now.

There are two ways to fix a budget deficit. Increase cash coming in and/or decrease cash going out.  We continually look at ways to decrease spending.   However, 80% of our operating costs are labor related.   We can reduce staff, but further reductions decrease activities and programs. We are required by the State to have a certain ratio of care givers to participants for the Adult Care Center.  Our staff is neither highly compensated nor are they provided the health benefits that are common with most businesses.

         The City of Saratoga provides facilities at no charge as well as some grant money.  However, since Saratoga doesn’t have as large a business tax base as other cities, it can only provide as much funding as it can afford. All grants cover less than 20% of operating costs. The rest of our income is from memberships, fees, bi-annual appeal letters, and fund raisers.

  Many of our members are on fixed incomes. Increasing fees would make our services unaffordable to many.  We do offer scholarships to those who can’t afford any fees in the Adult Care service.

          In 2009 SASCC’s money raising efforts came in the form of the Saratoga Yard Sale, various concerts and festivals and a new document shredding service available to all area residents.  In 2010, we will continue to create income opportunities including a “Business Alliance Program”.

          Supporting adult services for those who have worked all their lives and now need help to rebuild their physical and emotional health is the right thing to do.  Here is what you can do to help.   You can make a monetary donation to our important program.  Because SASCC is a 501(c) (3) non-profit corporation, gifts are tax deductible.  Your support will be gratefully appreciated!  Please contact SASCC Executive Director, Susan Huff, shuff at sascc.org.  for any questions or suggestions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.  This is a much needed program by many older adults.

Regards,

Richard Angus, President of SASCC Board of Directors

SASCC, 19655 Allendale Ave., Saratoga, CA 95070

408-868-1257   www.sascc.org

Dinna Myers <dinna at shadyshakes.org>

A Benefit to Support Free Shakespeare in Sanborn Park.

Visit us and get your tickets now at
 http://www.shadyshakes.org/support/events/benefit.php

Judy Longacre <judy at saratogachamber.org>
Saratoga Chamber of Commerce
May Mixer

Odd Fellows Lodge #428
14414 Oak Street, Suite A
Saratoga, CA
 May 12, 2010 - 5:30 to 7:00pm

Mixer donation $5
If you would like to promote your business by donating a Raffle prize, contact the Chamber office at 408.867.0753
 *
The Odd Fellows will also have the Grand Opening of its "Stairway to History" project.  The Saratoga Museum's Vice President, Annette Stransky, will be the docent.  The viewing will begin at 4:45 pm.  For more information about this project contact Mario Chisessi: (408) 326-9624.

MASEK at aol.com
NO conFUSION

at

La Mere Michelle

Just

Exquisite Continental Dining

Reservations:  408-867-5272

14467 Big Basin Way
in Historic Saratoga Village

La Mere Michelle
Saratoga's trusted restaurant since 1972
 is celebrating the beginning of our 39th year in the Village.

We are featuring Special Anniversary Menu

Dinner for two for just $ 50

Menu
Share one appetizer

Escargots Bourguignon
Shiitake Mushrooms and Prawns in garlic butter
Chef's Duck Liver Mousse

* * *
Each person Chef's soup of the day or Mixed Green Salad.

* * *

Choose one entree per person

Braised Lamb Shank
Slowly braised with fresh Rosemary
Or
Black Angus New York Steak
Green peppercorn demi-glace
Or
Bake Seafood Mornay
Shrimp & Scallops baked in Mornay Sauce
Or
Breast of Chicken Forestiere
Lightly sautéed with wild mushrooms

* * * *

This menu is not available for private functions, or with any other promotional offers.

Reservations:  408-867-5272
Annette Stransky <annette022003 at yahoo.com>

"The Erie Canal, the Silicon Valley of 1825" will be presented on Monday, May 17 at 7:15 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church (14103Saratoga Avenue in Saratoga) by noted lecturer Martha Kendall. The lecture is free and sponsored by the Saratoga Historical Foundation.
The construction of the Erie Canal, nicknamed "America’s First School of Engineering," provided one of the most dramatic examples of the can-do attitude and ingenuity that continue to define the American character. Just as Silicon Valley startups push the envelope of our notions about what is possible, the Erie Canal overcame technological, financial, and political hurdles before it became known as the Eighth Wonder of the World.
In her program. Author Martha Kendall will tell the inspiring story of the construction of the Erie Canal, project colorful images of the canal today, and play music of the canal era on banjo, penny whistle, fiddle and guitar.Join us and find out more about this fascinating historic landmark and time in history. Those participating in the potluck dinner should arrive at 6:30 PM and bring food to share, your own dishes and eating utensils. Beverages of water, tea or coffee will be provided. The lecture will begin about 7:15 PM

Donna Hernandez <herndzd at yahoo.com>

Mary at SaratogaChocolates.com

Spend $50 or More in May,
Receive a free four piece gift box.
Mention this ad - in store only!
Anyone on the list may submit an ad. Distribution takes place Mondays - noonish.
Submit your advertising copy to: ads at SaratogaOaksLodge.com
This is a cut & paste operation so please check spelling and content.